Skip to main content

TIL Jet Lag!

Today I learnt, the exact way in which jet-lag works and my mind is boggled. I had the weirdest, worst possible understanding in my head. And I realized today, how wrong I was.

I basically thought, your body clock matches the clock of the place you land. All you have to do, is catch up on sleep.

For example, if you are flying to London from India and reach London at 11 pm, India time, which is 6:30 pm London time, it is just perfect, because now, you can immediately fall asleep and not wake up till 7 am, London time, which is 11:30 am India time. Now, you are all caught up on sleep.

If you are confused, don't worry. This is the wrong explanation.

The real explanation is this. Just because the time shows you gained 5 hours, does not mean your body knows that. (That I did not know this, when this is the exact definition of jet lag, is something so strange and surprising that I am amazed). You don't want to wake up till 7 am London time, but you will get up at 2:30 am London time, because it is 7 am in India. Time to get up. And no, just because it is dark outside and because your alarm did not ring, you cannot force yourself to sleep again.

Matters get worse, because when it is 7 am in India and you are still sleeping in London, you have reminders, in the form of notifications on the mobile - 
Maid has checked in to the apartment complex, 
good morning whatsapp message from the Uncle who never gives up, 
message on the close family group - what are you all doing today, 
message on distant family group 1 - forward of the day sent by uncle #2 who never gives up, 
message on distant family group 2 - forward of the day sent again, by uncle #3 who received it from Uncle #2 on another group,
Times of India's friendly reminder of headlines in the morning along with a subtle hint that newspapers still exist
A crying appeal from the work-out app - please work out today
And so on.


It is so mind-boggling that I got it wrong for so many years. I cannot believe I did not know the exact meaning of jet-lag till now, despite having travelled so many times.

What can I say. I learnt something new today and it's exciting.

Also, I am jet-lagged and I know it. Yay!


Comments

  1. Oh I can easily sleep till 11:30 am, I am sure my body clock will not have me "awake" at 2:30am. It would be two rounds of sleep maybe after I quickly eat something and then go back to sleep. I can do that :D

    I am a Sleepoholic. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats pretty cool. I am back now and in the second round of jet lag. :-/

      Delete
  2. Thankfully so far jet lag has not troubled me so much.. I hit my head on the pillow and its zzzzzzzzz time ..

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to travel frequently on job. We cannot avoid jet lag. But we can lessen the effect. The one thing that helps me is to drink lot water in the plane and avoid alcohol because the airplane environment will dehydrate you. If you are not dehydrated, the effects of jet lag will be minimal.

    If you reach London at 6:30 pm, try to stay awake and sleep at around 10 pm London time. You can do this if you are able to sleep in the plane.

    It will be hard if you are going from west to east. I don’t know the reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi